Monday 24 November 2014

It is not my monkey

Lately I have had to deal with friends and family that owe me money. Friendships have been tarnished, family members stopped speaking and lovers have been known to go sour on their spouse all because of money issues. All because one has borrowed the other money and pay back becomes a literal bitch...

There is no one size fits all solution when it comes to this but one thing is certain though, money and relationships never went together. I am not talking TTT here, I am talking "borrow me R1500.00 ya miriri I will pay you back month end." I have come up with a way to handle these money issues in relationships, friendships and family:

I don't have to help. I do not need to feel guilty either, we all have our problems bandla and Lord knows I am not a charity.

It is not my monkey. Your circus your animals, handle it on your own. If you are really desperate I know a guy who can help, bomashonisa are in business for a reason


Make the terms clear. When my BFF asked me to give her hair on credit and lend hair money to get the hair installed, I never discussed the terms. she turned around and told me that we did not set a deadline and I knew then that she is broke so how must she pay me back when I know her financial crisis. Like.....OK

Have some form of leverage. So when my BFF moved out I told her to leave the fridge as we were using it and mine was at my (now) ex's house. when she wanted to collect I told her that I had no issues, provided she brings the hair money. I am now a Samsung fridge richer.

Have your own issues too. As soon as someone starts telling me their issues, I have learnt to be to share mine too before said person gets to a point where they need my help.

Basically, I have learnt to avoid lending money by all means, it does not end well and more often than not, I have had people end up not talking to me because I lent them MY money when their scronny asses were desperate

by Queen Troll