Thursday 4 December 2014

TOLAH Book Club

In prep for the holidays I went and got me a few books last month for those moments when the anti-social bug hits me. I must say it had been a while since I read something with a plot, something that I can get burried for hours on end without losing interest.

One of the books I got and have started reading is "Killing Kebble: An Underworld Exposed" by Mandy Wiener, a 702 journalist who investigated and interviewed Brett Kebble's friends, business associates, family, employees, police men that are investigating the cases that involved Brett from when he was still alive and even politicians who were said to have been close the the gunned down mining magnet. It is almost like a virtual tour of the underground life lived by people merely perceived as big shot business men while they are actually leading a the type of life that we only see in movies.

The book uncovers some of the most interesting details on how politics, drugs and power almost always go hand in hand. In the first 200 pages, you will already be introduced to characters unlikely to be seen to mingle in the same circles, ie politicians, actresses, Jewish business men and drug lords. It also uncovers how power hunger can and does lead to greed which in turn will lead you to death as a greedy man will eventually step on toes to get whatever he wants. 

What impressed me more about the book, the author gives you a background of each character before getting to how they are part of the puzzle, she goes as far as telling you their childhood and upbringing, their status in society, etc

Also, there are just too many names big being dropped in the book. I am talking Jackie Selebi, Fikile Mbalula, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela and many more... It is un-put-down-able

I can't wait to finish it so I can start reading McIntosh Polela's "My father my monster". It looks very interesting too.

What are you ladies reading?

By Queen Troll