Monday 9 February 2015

Cheapskate guide to saving costs

With the amount of debt that I found myself in for the past 2 years, I have had to find ways to save money before I find myself doing night shift at Oxford Street. Joburg is such a harsh place to live shem especially if you are just a normal working class with no other financial support structure.

Here are some of the ways that can help save a cent here and a buck there.
  • Shower at the gym or even the spa after a treatment. Instead of taking a shower before going to the gym or even after the gym when you get home, take the shower at the gym. This will save you on the water bill.
  • Cook enough food that you have leftovers to store in the freezer so next time you want the same thing you just heat it up an voila, you have a meal in minute. This will save you money and time spent on cooking, allowing family bonding time.
  • Walk to some places. There is no need to drive everywhere. A 5km walk here and and 1km walk there will help keep you fitter and save you on fuel, car repairs and you can avoid unnecessary hassles such as traffic etc
  • Take a doggy bag when out at restaurants. I don't remember how often I have been to a restaurant, ordered a meal and not finished it just to have it taken back to the kitchen and chucked away but still pay for the full meal. So, now I ask for it. This becomes lunch at work and I save on skhafthin.
  • Attend & eat at functions you get invited to. Most functions such as weddings have catering which means you get to eat. You spend most of your day at the damn thing anyway so really why not just eat there all day. Don't be ashamed, the host had their guest's tummy in mind when they organised the catering. Own that plate.
  • Carpool to events. When going on an outing with others, ask if they don't mind an extra passenger. Offer to be the designated driver too to ease their discomfort. 
  • DIY! somethings don't need to be outsourced. Laundry for example doesn't really really have to be done ko laundromat. use your own hands.
  • Don't go overboard when people visit by just dishing out snacks and drinks left, right and centre. I always ask. I will go "would you like some peanuts?" Most of the time the guest will say no. This just means, I now haven't wasted food unnecessarily by just giving someone who isn't hungry.
  • Buy at sales. I am a bargain hunter. I have noticed trends last for more than one season. So the summer dress that is in now will still be in next summer. so when the end of season sale comes I can buy and keep it for next summer.
There are more tricks but I will keep it descent for now.

What do you ladies recommend?

by Queen Troll