Thursday 23 April 2015

TOLAH Book club: My Father, My Monster by McIntosh Polela



A captivating true story about a young boy who's forced to grow up almost overnight when his seemingly perfect life gets turned upside down without warning nor explanation. McIntosh takes you through a journey of having to adapt in the cruel unforgiving world where not only did he have to battle the harsh new environment but also had to deal with bullying and absolute poverty, a far cry from his once comfortable care-free life where they never had to worry about basics such as food and clothes but has to also play protector to his sister.

In this book, we read how a young boy battles an identity crisis, dealing with betrayal from the very person he once considered a hero of his life and how the patience that it took for him to plan and eventually get to a near truth in discovering what might have happened in his family that eventually led to him and his sister becoming orphans and hustlers for basic life.

After reading this book, I found myself asking how one can go through what he did from being a vandal, a near school drop out and being a bully for survival to a successful journalist and later on an influential man in society. The determination mainly driven by him wanting to succeed merely because he had to get to the bottom of what took away his happy life. There are moments where I wish I could get into the book and give his paternal family a slap or two and others where I just wanna hug him for being such a responsible loving person to his sister. In all this, he does not lose his integrity or respect for his elders.

I loved this book. Best I read this year.


By Queen Troll