Friday 24 April 2015

27 April: The Chronicles of Freedom Day

The 27th April, marks Freedom Day in South Africa. The first day that all races in South Africa were allowed to cote for the first time in history. The day that we look at, 21years later, and say it was the official last day of apartheid. The day that started the entire rainbow nation notion.

But, has it's significance changed? Has freedom moved from being a right to being a bearer of an entitlement attitude amongst the young, prevously disadvantaged and the poor? Has the freedom made our people dependant on the system or more independent in realizing the opportunities present and for them to wanna reach out and grab? Who exactly is free and from whom? Previously disadvantaged people used to be employees to the minority groups, doing labour for minimum pay, this has changed and we are now considered "equal" is said environmnet. But, is this what freedom was supposed to achieve?

I am not asking because I am being silly, I ask because we are apparently free, yet I struggle to see from what exactly. Here are the reasons why:
1.  Racism - every time I am in the North West province, a reality check gets slapped in my face. I am black and inferior when that side and encounter a white person. It is almost expected for me to shrink a bit.
2. Poverty - the slums are not going anywhere. Instead, there are more and more squatters occupying fresh land so often.
3. Economic freedom - lol. Another reality check. I work hard, have more experience in the company and am now qualified for what I do, so when my non-black colleague got a higher positin that I was set for without meeting the requirements it made me look around. I realised that that's how things get done. I was told so in not so many words.
4. Dompas system - people still get asked for their I D's at taxi rank so that the cops can ensure they're not illegal foreigners.
5. Dating - I was never ready for my boss and another colleague to burst out laughing at a white woman holding a black man's hand at a restaurant. They didn't look embarassed either. The comments that followed made me leave early.

How do you see freedom? Does it mean anything to you? For the trolls older than freedom, what is the one change that you look at todat and back then that you sit and wanna thank struggle heroes for? Or do you simply see these days off work as a reason to chill, relax and go on holiday? Who cares what they are for, anyway?


By Queen Troll