Tuesday 10 March 2015

Started from the bottom now we’re here

So you’ve made it, you got out of the hood and your kids will never set foot at a government school. Do you ever stop and think about your childhood and realise you were less advantaged, well….. I do for example:

* Toilet paper was a luxury, we had yellow pages nailed to the wall on toilet wall outside.
* I was never the first owner of anything be it toys or clothes.
* My friends mom would compliment her for playing with me (true story) .
* I remember hoping they would invite me for supper.
* I still hate the ice-cream truck, my friend would let me lick hers ONCE!!.
* I never had a sleep over because…… family home .
* Cheap paste like polony, cabbage, powdered milk, chicken on Sundays.
* Saved cooking grease, you would be frying eggs but it smells like boerewors
* When rand water came to install prepaid water metres, they asked us to hold the dogs so they could access the yard. My grandmother told them we are also scared of them, they bite.
* The guilt that you made it out.
* For those of you who grew up poor please share your memories

From Me (Silent Blogger, Hope you come out today)