Monday 4 May 2015

New TV show review: The Afternoon Express


FOMO had me. Everyone has been talking about the upcoming "new talk" show. Hosted by Top Billing's Bonang Matheba with Jennie D and Bonnie Mbuli co- (insert word for top decorated runner). The show has taken over 3Talk's time slot and was said to be what "we were never ready" for, until it aired. 

 

5minutes before 4 O'clock. I was sitting there with a glass of water, coffee and dombolo at hand. I had also emptied my bladder for nothing was gonna make me get off the couch and miss this long awaited, much talked about, never before seen on South African TV to air. I even had my phone on silent because the queen was about to be on air and all subjects were to just swerve. 

 

So, they showed the "coming up" menu. Well, I thought this will be interesting. It looked like they were introducing who will be doing what for future shows, kanti dolol's. It was all to be bundled into a 60 minute show. There were 3 celebrity interviews, 2 recipe showcases, a vet, a fashion show, an exercise routine and a performance. All in one show. I felt like I was watching a repeat of Expresso. Of course Bonang did the celebrity interviews while the 2 other girls were in charge of the space / time filler inserts. It was a well organized calm chaos. Too many things at once and I did not get the "talk show" part of it.

 

My thought: they could just format the show in a way that they focus on 2 or 3maximum; topics instead of doing everything all at once. It's like they were trying to add The Link, Top Billing, Expresso and IG all in one show. All those models in the show? It looked like their target market are 16 year old high school kids, honestly, who's produced that episode?

- Bonnie Mbuli can do more than talk about pork chops and chop broccoli, she needs a chance to shine, I see a gem.

Was it me or was the voice over also by the guy who does all the SABC 3 programming voice overs? Can we see/ hear new talent?

 

Of course chances of me catching the show soon are very slim, I am over it already. I will watch expresso in the morning and carry on with the rest of the day.

 

Nothing new here. Well thought of but the content is too much of an over kill. Also, there is a danger of allowing B* to over shadow the other presenters.

 

What did you think?

 

By Queen Troll