Thursday 7 May 2015

Whats in a name?

The power of a name and its value has long been immortalized in prose, poetry, and religious ceremony. Everyone recognizes himself or herself by name.

The other day I was a Primi for their Salmone pasta!! Our waiters name was Shepherd... The other who took over after Sherperd left, was Obvious... They are both from Zimbabwe... It got me thinking, most of us born in the 80's have English names, which I call Slave names... All my life, my mother made me use my English name, and when I went to Varsity, I made a decision to never ever use it again, And I didnt for 4 years until I started working again, when the white people started using it again... SIGH...

I know people called, Trust, Signature, Believe, Remember, Goodness, Pretty the list goes on...

Most of the Vernec names I know are either positive or damn right negative... Our parents would give a child name depending on a situation at that moment they were born...

What does your name mean?
Those with English names, are you proud of it?
Would you give your child an English name?
Does A name have to have a meaning behind it??
Do you believe a Name hold power over a person?




By Lufuno