Friday 30 January 2015

OH, I'M JEALOUS ?

Jealousy - A painful awareness of another's possessions or advantages and a desire to have them too.  Webster’s Dictionary

I saw her in our local mall almost five years ago, she was with her family in their older model family car, I think it was a Toyota Cressida. We're acquaintances Lydia and I, and come from the same hometown.
Fast forward to 2015 and she’s a married, uber stylish stay at home mom who drives a Range Rover, has a glamourous social life and loves [and owns] all things fabulous.
I know we're not meant to compare lives but damn, she’d made it and I was still struggling with attaining some very basic stuff in my life.
After we parted ways from our chance encounter, I narrowed down the ugly feeling I had inside, to jealousy. I was envious. This Facebook thing made it even worse for me, I didn't know how she got to where she is, but never in my life have I yearned to possess all her cool stuff, all the way right down to her cheapest earrings.
So how did I kill the green eyed monster growing inside me? I continued comparing myself to her….

Style
This woman knows her body and flatters her best features perfectly.
For instance, she never wore leggings, short skimpy dresses but keep it to long flowing dresses, maxi skirts or jeans.
So what suits me? Jumpsuits, high waist jeans, long flowing dresses, jumper type pants and maxi skirts. But the element of self-sabotage in me is always hoping and wishing I can wear short cute summer dresses and leggings knowing fully well that they don’t work thanks to the mild Genu valgum [knock-kneed, skere] situation that I have going on.
So from now on, I'm going for those jumpsuits in all shapes, colours and accentuating what I have.
I can check out Pinterest, watch the style channel [give the crime channels a break] and to make it more interesting, I might as well make this a fun mini project at home by dedicating one Saturday to taking out all my clothes, see what fits and what I can give away. As well as try different things with the stuff I already have, whilst checking what I need.

Accessories
I also noticed that she wears Sunglasses, like a lot! I've tried this but I've always hated anything over my eyes. Reports claim that the annual sales of sunglasses have increased 7%-11% every year since 2009 so this is a widely growing trend that I am not part of.
Therefore to deal with my FOMO, I'll casually pluck them on my hair because they're a great accessory and this will give me the same effect while suiting my comfort levels.

Hair
She looks good in short, natural hair or dreadlocks.  So why can’t I pull that look off…?
That’s because she has a tall frame, big build. So in her case a long, full weave would make her look even heavier – she knows this and keep to locks and natural hair.
I, however have a smaller head, face and I look like an eight year old boy in natural hair.
So I need to go out and buy that hair [times two packets], call Matilda and make an appointment to install the weave and granted, I’ll leave the salon looking like a goddess.

My BFF actually tried to steer me away from this topic, concerned as to why would I want to go all out and admit that I’m jealous of this person? But actually admitting it to myself led me to scrutinize exactly why and what I am jealous of? I chose to be realistic and acknowledge what I can learn from her traits.

Jealousy is a terrible disease, and this is how I self-medicated. 


By Pumi (member of the silentville tribe)